Thursday, February 23, 2012

Deb had doubts, I prevailed!

For Christmas I received a phenomenal book from my mumsy.  She gave me the book Fabric-By-Fabric: One Yard Wonders (Get your copy, its AWESOME).  I love this book!  There is another one yard wonder book that was printed first, but I must say, that while I wanted to love it, I didn't quite.  Upon thumbing through this book I was instantly hooked and needed so many of the treasures inside.


One of the first projects I lusted after was a set of bicycle panniers.  They are SUPER cute and I instantly wanted them.  I am going to be biking to work everyday when I take my job in St. Louis so clearly I was going to need a holder for my stuff as a go.  Deb shot me down hard.  She having been a hardcore cyclist treated me to a lecture on how irritating poor panniers are and about the fact that we could just buy them.  I tried to instill upon her that the point was not to buy them and that if she wanted to "help" she could give me advice on how to improve the design.  She was not receptive, so I sought out to prove that I could make some awesome saddle bags.

I thought that they were so cute, but the deal was truly sealed when I found this laminated houndstooth fabric at my local Joann's and it was a remnant, I got it for a song.  

The original pattern is not lined because if it were you would need more than a yard thus contradicting the title, One-Yard-Wonder.  However for me and my purposes I was going to need to have my panniers lined.  I purchased a matching amount of purple heavy duct cotton.  We need webbing and buckles, and I was thrilled when I found reflective iron on banding as well.  Safety first ladies and gents.

So my Fabric is cut and my supplies collected!

Another thing that the original directions doesn't call for is something to stiffen the back and bottom of the pockets.  I had a feeling that I was going to want something really stiff and sturdy.  I could not find a heavy weight stabilizer that felt hard enough for me, so I am using book board.  What I did was to go to my local interior designer (i.e. my place of employment) and asked for a discontinued wallpaper sample book.  I cut the book all apart and traces the back pattern piece and cut it out.  
*** This ended up being too long so I cut the book board down after trying it in the pocket.  It also left me a big enough piece from what I cut off to put a piece in the bottom of the pockets.


 I have high hop for this it is very firm.


My dear great dane puppy Orson (8 months old 90+ lbs.) though ever the delightful companion, is all paws with a seam ripper or needle.  While I appreciate the offer, I told him he couldn't help.

 Here are a couple more of my additions.  The directions asked for only the two strips of velcro across the center seam, but I added the two extra velcro pieces down the body of the panniers.  The velcro helps to keep the panniers fastened to the bike.

I also added the reflective tape that is not explicitly called for in the pattern.


Since I added the lining, I had to figure how to make it clean finished and pretty.  I am pointing to the center seam, I have already stitched the hounds tooth at the center seam, and I am going to leave the lining pieces unstitched because that is where we are going to turn the fabric for a clean finished edge.  I pressed that edge of the lining down a half an inch.  Next I stitched around the outer edge, clipped my corners and turned the fabric right sides out.


 *** If you are using nylon webbing what I like to do is to burn the ends to avoid fraying.  Now don't go pyro, just let it melt so the won't put little fibers all over the place.
  

I then pinned the webbing to the flaps (which I turned just like the back of the panniers).  They call for the webbing to be stitched only on the center seam.  That felt conservative to me so, I stitched it to within four inches of the hem.


I know it's clear but let me just reiterate what help Deb was, dispensing all her knowledge.  Obviously that's a joke.  She slept in a similar position all day with a great dane draped about her.


I initially was going to have the handle be a piece of the hounds tooth, but the purple just looked sew dam good!


Pinning is crucial.  Nearly as important as Ironing.


Life is so Hard!


I then out the pice of board for the bottom in before I attached  it to the back piece.


Just as we had pillow cased the flap.   then topstitched the fabric to keep everything looking completely delicious.


Next, just drop in your book board!


I also decided to tack the corner of the exterior fabric to the corner of the lining to hold the the book board in the bottom in place.


Another one of my little improvements was to add grommets to the side so I could tie the pockets closed to keep the contents in place and dry in the case of inclement weather.


 There we are, our pretty finished project.  I also added my New Mass label.  The label just makes all the projects look finished and professional.  Love it!!!

Deb took a look at the panniers and let's just say she ate her words and then as a result I put her to work. Because hello, I won!


My baby pumping up my tires and getting my bike ready to ride, now that she's so stylish!




I am SO thrilled with the panniers.  They were so satisfying.  If you're looking at them lustily, let me know, I'm willing to take custom orders!

Projected Forecast:
1) Purse
2) Wallets
3) Grammy's Skirt

1 comment: